My Creative Outlet

Blog of my thoughts and feelings about my life in general and about my hobbies in specific.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Art's Alive

My mom, sister and I went to Art's Alive at the local university today. It was really wonderful to spend some girl time with them since I don't get to see them as much as I use to. My mom now has a full time job at a local craft store and my sister is getting her PhD in Raleigh. We had a great time. Art's Alive is an annual event held by the university for the students in the Art program. It allows the art students at the U a chance to display and sell their crafts (pottery, photography, watercolor, acrylic, jewelry, basket weaving, among other things) and a few local vendors to sell their wares also. It doubles as a aid to the local economy as well as helping the students procure experience while still in college.

My favorite piece being displayed was the "Every Artist...Has a Story". It reminded me a lot of Salvador Dali's work. I love his surrealist paintings of the melting clocks, "The Persistence of Memory" being my favorite. Of all the art I studied in school, his is one of the few I still remember clearly. He obviously made a deep impression on me. Most of his paintings are odd or creepy but I'm drawn to them and can barely force myself to look away. I hope that doesn't mean I'm odd and creepy :)

I bought an earring and necklace set made of Dichroic Glass from one of the vendors. The picture doesn't do them justice, but you can kind of see the multitude of colors. What you can't see in the picture is the way the colors change in the light. Dichroic Glass is a type of colored glass which looks iredescent. The jewelry looks very fun to make. Hope I get to try it.

Afterwards, we went to Ruby Tuesdays for lunch and my mom had me try a psycological exersise they did in her art class. It's called the House-Tree-Person Test. Basically you draw a house, tree, and person anyway you want and the way you portray them tells you alot about your personality. It was very insightful and interesting.
For example:
If you draw clouds, smoke, or sun, you have a warm loving personality.
If your person is close to your house, you feel comfortable in your own home.
If your house has lots of windows you are open to the outside world or if you have no windows you like your privacy.
Large or multiple doors indicate you welcome people stopping by at any time unannounced.
The type of tree you draw would indicate what part of the country you feel more comfortable in. For example, if you draw a deciduous tree it could mean you are more comfortable in the South.
A swing, birds, children's toys, and little animals denotes a playful personality.
A detailed face on the person would mean you're very social and need to look good in front of other people.
A path leading up to house starting small and ending large means a closed personality when you first meet someone but opens up to people as you get to know them.
How much detail you went into meant something too, but I can't remember just now what it was. Anyway, it was very fun and I made my fiance take the test when he got home this afternoon. It was interesting comparing our rendition of the house and how our individual views of our lives differed and how similar they were at the same time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home