My Creative Outlet

Blog of my thoughts and feelings about my life in general and about my hobbies in specific.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

New Additions to Website!

I've added more analyzed photos from Kalmia Gardens to my Photography Website as well as created a link from the About Me page to my Photo Scrapbook.

I really enjoyed our trip to Kalmia. This was my favorite photo from the trip. It was hard to capture this photo but after numerous tries this was the outcome.

Unfurling of the Frond
This unfurling frond was found deep in the woods of the Kalmia Garden Nature Area. Among the numerous trees and flowering shrubs, the simple elegance of the fern catches the hiker's eye.

The subject of the photograph is the new leaf of the fern unfurling into the spring world. The merged colors of the background compliment the bright colors of the fern's new leaf growth. The fine hairs on the stem and leaflets give texture to the image.

As the focus of this image, the new growth of the fern fills almost the entire image. The curvature of the frond encourages the viewer's eye to flow around the image and eventully focus on the tightly curled leaflets at the lower right of the photograph.

The image is simplified by the short focal length used to take the shot, which has caused the background to be completely blurred out. To improve this image the focal length could be widened so as to bring the tips of the fern's leaflets into focus.

While exploring the natural beauty of the earth, simple aspects of nature are usually overlooked for the awe-inspiring, attention-getting plants and the small, simple flora are disregarded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home