My Creative Outlet

Blog of my thoughts and feelings about my life in general and about my hobbies in specific.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Starting a Craft Business

I was looking through some of the other blogs a few days ago and came across Heidi's Paper Musings. If you haven't seen it you should check it out! In her "about me" she says to "Take a minute and dream a littleā€¦.about your ideal workplace. What would it look like? Who would you work with? What would you be wearing?" That really got me thinking and her blog inspired me to consider starting my craft business now instead of some time in the future. For the longest time I've wanted to start my own business selling crocheted items like baby blankets/afghans and layettes sets for baby shower gifts, but I never seriously thought about doing it right now! When I thought about it, it was always something I wanted to do someday - very far into the future. I've been wanting to sell some of my work for the past 6 0r 7 years, but it was always something that I thought I would do one day. But why not now? So I've decided to take her advice and start seriously working toward my dream.

My ideal workplace would to be able to work out of my home at my own pace. I'd also like to work with my sister and/or mom or maybe a few of my best friends. To be able to do what I enjoy and to work at my own pace would be definite perks, and a flexible work schedule - to be able to take a day off or work in the evenings instead of the mornings would be so nice. But I'd like to still get to know my customers (love this aspect of my job, especially the little children!)

I raided Hobby Lobby (one of my favorite things to do) and got some soft baby yarn to practice the patterns I'm making up.

So, I started working on creating some patterns for some baby afghans. I came up with a very cute one the other night. And other one which might need some more work... need an idea for the edging. The uploaded pic is the finished pattern for the cute one. I like how the fan edging is turning out. I'm only about halfway done with a completed afghan. It has taken me a few tries to get the effect that I was aiming for but as soon as I'm satisfied I will upload a photo of the completed baby afghan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home